Total Pageviews

Friday, September 30, 2011

The Past, Present, and Future

I have a lot of regrets. One especially that is bothering me lately is my decision to quit high school. I see these posts from all my friends and hear them talking so excitedly about homecoming and graduation and so forth. I can't experience that. However, if I cling to my past, how am I to move forward in the future? Through my experience, and the experience, strength, and hope of others, I have learned to let go of the past and focus not on the distant future, but today. I know that today I am glad to be the place I am. I am grateful. I was considering attending GHS's homecoming game tonight, but an opportunity presented itself for me to chair the Gardendale NA meeting tonight. My first time! So, naturally, I decided that high school is in my past. I need to let go of it, and cling to what I have today, which is Narcotics Anonymous, my new friends, and my family. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. You could blame the addict for steering you away from those things you once wanted, but the way I see it is that the addict steered you towards finding your true self, your true identity -- that is far more worthy of respect and admiration than simply graduating high school. Graduating takes persistence and endurance, but overcoming addiction takes humility, courage, self-acceptance, and strength of character. But you've gone beyond that and are becoming a role model, a leader... Alex, you've already achieved so much!

    There are many of us who never participated in those "social norms" of life. But, what would you trade if it meant you could be at your own high school graduation? What would you change?

    I am very proud of you, probably more than you know.

    And congratulations, Mr. Chairman!

    ReplyDelete